qualified but not certified

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Submarine

Dir. Richard Ayoade
Starring. Sally Hawkins, Craig Roberts, Noah Taylor

I never tire of a good coming of age story. Maybe it's because I didn't really understand what the phrase even meant until I came out of my own adolescence and was like 'Oh, was that me coming of age? That period of time I accidentally dyed my hair the color of rust and had legs like a baby giraffe? And now I don't anymore? I get it now."

Anyway, it is ironically a genre that just doesn't get old. It gives teens an outlet for all that angst; a chance to realize they aren't alone in their struggles. And for us oldies, it's a chance to look back fondly on our formative years and rejoice that we made it out of them alive. Every generation needs their own great coming of age tale, and if Submarine is not well on it's way to becoming this generation's, it damn well should be.

Meet the films pubescent hero, Oliver Tate (Craig Roberts). He enjoys long walks on the beach, keeping close track of his parents sex life, and reading the dictionary. He even had a brief hat phase. But most of all he likes Jordana (Yasmin Paige), a pretty but confusingly aloof young pyro with whom he has a budding romance. As their relationship progresses, Oliver faces an increasingly tense situation at home with the decay of his parents marriage. He does all he can to save it by preventing his mother (Sally Hawkins) from having an affair with her ex-lover and next door neighbor, a New Agey spiritual leader and possible ninja (Paddy Considine). Through all of this, Oliver tries to figure out who he is, who he wants to be, and how he can become it.

Every scene in this film is charming and poignant. It's carried by the excellent Craig Roberts who is loveably awkward in a Michael Cera kind of way, only far more dynamic. Sally Hawkins contributes to many of the films most brilliant moments and it's really great to see her showcase her talents, even in a supporting role. This is an exceptionally promising debut film from director Richard Ayoade. His influences are quite clear: it's like a Woody Allen script, shot and cut by Godard, and meant to feel like Wes Anderson. But more importantly it's an Ayoade film, and his voice shines through these similarities with enough originality to give the film resonance.

Oh god, I'm gushing. This is embarrassing. I don't even know who I am any more. But seriously, just try and say something bad about this film. Try! I will hunt you down. And have a reasonably adult conversational debate with you, where you will say something like 'Well the story was predictable and basically the same as most coming of age tales.' To which I will calmly reply 'Perhaps it is a classic story, but it's done to perfection and all of the observations and jokes were refreshingly original.' Thus I will ultimately prove you wrong and you will concede to never doubting me again. Failing that, I will beat you over the head with an Age of the Dragons DVD (which is more humane than making you watch it.)

So, go on generation me or x or y or i or iphone or tweeter or whoever you are, get yourself to a theater this Friday. And don't even think about illegally downloading it to your ipads. I'll hunt you down for that too. No, I don't have the resources or manpower for that kind of operation but I assure you, this is a film worth paying for.

No comments:

Post a Comment